We all know the scene… a woman standing outside the club clutching a clipboard staring down at you as she shuffles through pages and pages of paper. The paper is marked by pen scratches and nearly illegible denotations. Whether your name is or is not on the VIP list, one thing is for sure: millions of pages of paper are wasted on guest lists throughout nightclubs and special events around the globe. Isn’t there a more efficient, eco-friendly system? The answer is YASSS with Gjests, your go-to guest list management application.
Paper comes from trees. No surprise there, but did you know that 64 million tons of paper has already been produced so far this year? That accounts for 42% of all wood harvest across the globe. Though many companies are striving to go “paperless”, paper waste is still at an all time high. We actually use more than 2 pieces of paper for every person on Earth every single hour. And there’s no sign of stopping—demand for paper is expected to double between 2005 and 2030. Below are some other facts about paper and paper waste.
Facts about Paper and Paper Waste
- As we speak, more than 199 tons of paper has already been produced.
- 324 liters of water is used to make 1 kilogram of paper.
- 10 liters of water is needed to make one piece of A4 paper.
- 93% of paper comes from trees.
- 50% of the waste of businesses is composed of paper.
- To print a Sunday edition of the New York Times requires 75,000 trees!
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves around 682.5 gallons of oil, 26,500 liters of water and 17 trees.
- Packaging makes up 1/3 or more of our trash.
- U.S offices use 12.1 trillion sheets of paper a year.
- Paper accounts for 25% of landfill waste and 33% of municipal waste.
- With all the paper we waste each year, we can build a 12 foot high wall of paper from New York to California!
- Lessening of paper usage was predicted due to the electronic revolution. It didn’t happen. Demand for paper is expected to double before 2030.
- Every tree produces enough oxygen for 3 people to breathe.
Some of these facts may astound you. Obviously, paper waste is not good for the environment, but without change the problem is not going anywhere any time soon. That’s why the push to go digital is so essential.
Step into the 21st century and use Gjests for all your event needs. Gjests is a mobile app that operates exactly like the pages of a guest list, but without the clipboard and most importantly without using any paper! You can make up-to-the-minute changes to your list and even create event specific notes. Say goodbye to scrambling through pages of paper searching for a name or trying to decipher unreadable handwriting. Save a tree and use Gjests for your next event.